Just another laowai!!!

2008/11/12

Luxury Simplified

There are moments when I realize that I'm truly blessed to be in the place, in this career, that I've fallen into. Although the financial havoc that the economy has wreaked on me has certainly been pervading my thoughts and moods of late, forcing me more and more into reclusion - out of solely economic necessity - in some ways this has been a blessing in disguise. It has dished me a mixed plate of sweet and sour frugality, a lesson I hope that will inspire lifelong wisdom in my financial affairs. And in doing so, it's reminded me of the beauty, the comfort and serenity that accompany simplicity. It's also helped me discover an even deeper appreciation for the finer, more meaningful things in life: a good night's sleep, an afternoon buried in a thrilling read, naps, playing tirelessly with Maiya, writing until my hands moan of soreness; and how much the splurging on a cup of the finest espresso tastes so heavenly.

It's times like this that I have to take a step back and be grateful. Although work is frighteningly slow, I do still have a job (many here can't say the same). I have my health, a comfortable place to call home, ample food and clothing, and a darling companion in Maiya.

Most of all, however, it's days like today that I owe the largest debt of gratitude. Spooning handmade tiramisu into my mouth, meshed with splashes of the finest cappuccino my tastes buds have ever made acquaintance with, thumbing sluggishly through a novel, Sade and Miles Davis gracing my ears with their warm serenades - being able to sit here in this cozy little haven of a coffee shop on an ordinary Tuesday afternoon makes me happy to be alive. What better way to spend this time than in such simple luxury?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home